Friday, April 4, 2014

‘Blade Runner 2′ Sans Sean Young? That’s a Sean Young Boycott


blade_runner___rachel




Actress Sean Young is, ahem, well-known for her strong advocacy in order to get the roles she wants. This is a woman, after all, who showed up on The Tonight Show dressed as Catwoman in order to impress Tim Burton to cast her for the part in Batman Returns. Of course, Young thought she was owed because a horse-riding accident forced her to drop out of the role of Vicki Vale in Batman, but any which way you slice it, the whole thing smelled of desperation.



Giving off the same aroma, is Young's recent comments concerning the possibility, or lack of possibility, of her character's return for the proposed sequel to Blade Runner. One might think her return for a sequel would be a no-brainer, but Young herself says that her outreach to the people behind the potential film has yielded no results. So she has a different idea about how to get in on the project: blackmail. Here's what Young had to say according to Comic Book Movie:



Alcon-they're the ones that own it and apparently they have Ridley to direct it - and when I met with them they didn't make any offer-plans to include me. And when I called Ridley Scott's office, he doesn't call me back. So I guess they're going to go, like, prequel or...I don't know what they're going to do. But my official opinion is that, if they don't include me in it, everybody should boycott it. Because it's stupid not to have me in it. It's really stupid. That's my opinion! I mean, you try to tell people something sensible in Hollywood and sometimes they just don't listen, you know. And they usually pay the price too, because everybody's an expert.



Uh-huh. I think Young is discounting a couple of things: 1) Her character in the film was a Replicant, and if the movie takes place in real time, 31 years later, then she would be surely dead. And 2) There's the fact that no one's talked about a Blade Runner sequel since the release of Prometheus last year, the reaction to which undoubtedly cooled any potential excitement for a Blade Runner follow-up. Still, Young doesn't have a lot of Hollywood clout, and what clout she does have expired about 20 years ago. Let's chalk this up to Young having too much free time on her hands, and too inflated opinion of herself.



Source: Blastr


No comments:

Post a Comment