Saturday, September 15, 2012

James Cameron Reviews ‘Prometheus’ & Talks About How He Almost Directed ‘Jurassic Park’





The “go to” guy of Hollywood, James Cameron is a director who can do know wrong. He could film a reboot of the worst movie on the planet – that sickly horrible film that is Troll 2 – and turn it into a feature film capable of winning Best Picture at next year’s Oscars. But I digress, Cameron, with his many years of experience has a keen eye for feature films and strong opinions of those directed by other. So how does he feel about Prometheus?



With his directorial work on Aliens, Cameron was the first director to take over the Alien franchise after the departure of director and creator Ridley Scott. So go figure, Cameron has something to say about the creator returning to the Alien franchise. In a recent chat with Moviefone, Cameron said,


I enjoyed Prometheus; I thought it was great. I thought it was Ridley returning to science fiction with gusto, with great tactical performance, beautiful photography, great native 3D. There might have been a few things that I would have done differently, but that's not the point, you could say that about any movie.



Turns out Cameron enjoyed the flick so much he watched it twice!


Oh, yeah. I'm a huge movie fan. I love watching films. I love watching films with the family, with the kids; I love watching films myself. I was out there opening night [for] Prometheus. I didn’t go to the Thursday midnight screening, but I was there Friday. I like to still get excited about movies and whether they pay off or not, that's not the point - the fact that there's still an excitement around a new movie, about the an unveiling of a new movie....Prometheus is a film I saw twice, and I thought about it ahead of time. The first time I would just enjoy it, go for the ride, not be too analytical and the second time I would allow myself to be a little more analytical about, you know, where the lights were and how they lit the shots with all the people in the helmets, how they probably had to do CG faceplates like we did on Avatar, things like that. But, sometimes, so that I preserve a fun, fan-like viewing experience, I won't get into that level. I'll just go for the ride, like, consciously.



Speaking of going for a ride, in a quote from the Huffington Post Cameron briefly touched on how he at one time almost purchased the rights to Jurassic Park before Steven Spielberg. And just like his films today, Jurassic Park would have included aliens,


I tried to buy the book rights and [Spielberg] beat me to it by a few hours. But when I saw the film, I realized that I was not the right person to make the film, he was. Because he made a dinosaur movie for kids, and mine would have been Aliens with dinosaurs, and that wouldn’t have been fair. Dinosaurs are for 8-year-olds. We can all enjoy it, too, but kids get dinosaurs and they should not have been excluded for that. His sensibility was right for that film, I'd have gone further, nastier, much nastier.



Imagine how different that movie would have been if Spielberg hadn’t gotten the rights before Cameron. Yeah, we’re shuddering at the thought of it, too.



Source: /Film


No comments:

Post a Comment