Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Michael Dorn Pushing ‘Captain Worf’ Spin-off with Some Success





Three years ago brought us the new J.J. Abrams reboot of the Star Trek universe. This reimagining was met with mixed reactions from fans but the popularity of it was unquestionable, as evidenced by the release of the second installment in the new franchise coming to the screen next year. Since then, the desire to add to the Star Trek mythos has grown, attracting some big names that also happen to be big fans.



The Bryan Fuller/Bryan singer super-combo have expressed interest in making new Star Trek episodes for television, though not much has been heard on that front. Some months ago, everyone's favorite Klingon, Michael Dorn, proposed a tentatively titled project by the name of Star Trek: Captain Worf. Though this seemed at first like a pipe-dream, it looks like Dorn might be making serious headway on his brain-child.



When talking about the project with Trek News, Dorn had this to say about its conception and his motivation:



I had come up with the idea because I love [Worf] and I think he's a character that hasn't been fully developed and hasn't been fully realized. Once I started thinking about it, it became obvious to me that I wanted to at least put it out there, which I have, and the response has been pretty amazing. We've been contacted by different individuals-I can't say who and all that-about wanting to come on board and be part of this.



And these comments on the likelihood of the project coming to fruition:



Interestingly enough it has gotten traction. I was very surprised, I was on a movie not too long ago, where one of the producers was basically lobbying to be part of it. He was like Michael, I'd love to write it, if you haven't." So at this point, my agents and my manager are looking at all the avenues and trying to figure out which is the best one. My agent and manager have been in the business for awhile, so they're very savvy about where to start and how to get it going. Like I said, in this business you never know and I've been through pitching things and I never want to do that again [laughs]. It's pretty brutal, but definitely I think once again, if Paramount or CBS or anybody thinks this is a viable thing, they'll jump on it.



Well, sounds good so far, right? Like maybe it has a chance somewhere down the road? The main problems is, with the reboot changing the face of the Star Trek universe and a second movie coming up that will establish the new world's boundaries even further, everything is in a state of flux.



Only time will tell if Dorn's dream (and the dream of countless fanboys/girls) comes true. If he does get a shot, it's highly probable that he'll have to unlearn all the back-story from his decades of Next Generation, Deep Space Nine and various movies. Abrams's vision is almost certain to lead all future Star Trek productions, which means Dorn will be following his lead.



So what do you folks think? Good idea/bad idea? Reboot world or original recipe? Speak your mind, for we hath commanded you!





Thanks to screenrant for the heads-up on this one.


No comments:

Post a Comment