Thursday, September 27, 2012

The Ladies of ‘Arrow’ – First Look at Kelly Hu as China White & Jessica de Gouw Talks Helena/Huntress





When Green Arrow comes to the CW this fall he won’t be alone. There’s been a whole slew of DC characters announced to make appearances from Merlyn to Deadshot to China White and Huntress. I’m especially excited to see those last two ladies, because, well they’re lady superheroes. All right, one’s a villain, but still, lady comic book characters appearing in another medium! And there’s more than one, unlike the lovely but token Black Widow of The Avengers. What can I say, I take comfort in little victories like these. Here’s hoping Arrow‘s Laurel Lance gets a pair of fishnets soon.



Playing tough chick, mobster butt-kickin’ Helena Bertinelli, a.k.a. The Huntress, is Jessica de Gouw who recently shared with KsiteTV what it’s like playing both the secret identity and the superhero,


I play Helena, but I'm also The Huntress, so I have to be able to hold my own. The duality of the role, it's challenging. I have to be able to kick butt and all of that, and I'm quite feminine in my normal every day [life]... the fighting and all of that is new and interesting for me, but it's a good thing. I'm really enjoying it. I've kind of been thrust into it, so I might as well just jump in, right?" she says. Jessica teases that the Huntress is introduced into Arrow "with a punch." "She comes in strong."



I love that they’re playing up what a fighter Helena is but at the same time she’s quite the woman, just as comfortable in pair of heels as she is wielding a crossbow. Read the whole interview here.



Gouw hasn’t shared any details about her Huntress costume other than hinting there will be some of the iconic purples featured. China White (Kelly Hu) on the other hand, of her we’ve got our first look,









All right, so they’ve gone for the more traditional black catsuit look, but I like that they kept the bleached, white hair. She’s not called China WHITE for nothing.



What are your thoughts on Arrow and the DC characters they’re incorporating? Are you excited for the show?



Arrow airs on the CW October 1oth.



Sources: The Mary Sue, CBM


No comments:

Post a Comment