Friday, May 23, 2014

Edgar Wright Chats a Bit about ‘Ant-Man’


wright ant-man




Ant-man is one of those Marvel "phase 3" movies that many of us are eager to start hearing about, particularly with regards to story and cast. But, alas, we're all still waiting for "phase 2" to peter out, and until that's done we'll likely not hear much. Luckily, writer/director Edgar Wright had the good graces to at least talk a little about his upcoming Ant-Man. In a recent interview with Indiewire, he gave us some input on Ant-Man's place in the universe, the tone of the film and how it actually managed to survive the continual barrage of delays.



When asked about where the Ant-Man flick fits in to the rest of the official Disney-Marvel universe:



I think it's just doing its own thing in the accepted history but it's still part of the other movies and always was. In the time I've been working on it other things have happened in the other movies that could be affected in this. It is pretty standalone in the way we're linking it to the others. I like to make it standalone because I think the premise of it needs time. I want to put the crazy premise of it into a real world, which is why I think "Iron Man" really works because it's a relatively simple universe; it's relatable. I definitely want to go into finding a streamlined format where you use the origin format to introduce the main character and further adventures can bring other people into it. I'm a big believer in keeping it relatively simple and Marvel agrees on that front.



When asked about what the tone of the film is likely to be:



It's hard to say, my head's still in 'World's End.' I think it's funny...I wouldn't say it has any of the comedy that is in my previous but I think it'll be in a different vein. There'll be less swearing in it.



And finally, Wright addresses why he's still involved despite years of delays:



The reason it's always been there is because they really love the script and so I was very excited that they didn't say, "Let's give the script to someone else." I'm so glad that I made 'World's End' and it was the right time to do it and there were many reasons why we wanted to do it, had to do it and I'm very prod that I did it because if we didn't do it in the next couple years we'd have never done it.





Thanks to ComicBookMovie for the heads-up.


No comments:

Post a Comment